With today’s car carrier availability of more than 4,000 independent drivers and carrier companies able to cover all possible routes within the US, door-to-door transportation has become the most popular and affordable way of relocating cars, motorcycles, boats and RVs.
Back in the day, before car shipping gained such widespread popularity among private individuals, it was more common to ship vehicles from terminal to terminal. This implies that the car owners drive their vehicles to the nearest terminal or stogare facility where the latter are loaded on special trucks and transported to another terminal.
Thus, the shipping process can turn out to be pretty time-consuming or even resourse-intensive because such terminals are not always located next door. As people tend to value their time more and save it for more valuable things in life, door-to-door service in car shipping has become as common as daily mail or goods delivery.
What is “Door to Door” shipping actually?
It means that the driver will get as close to your pick up and delivery locations as it is physically and legally possible.
In most cases it will be a 40-50’ long and about 12-13’ high double-decker 9-car hauler which is restricted to be driven in:
- Residential areas
- Gated communities
- Mountainous areas
- Areas with low-hanging tree branches etc.
Basically, before the driver comes to pick up your vehicle, it is important to make sure that the streets at both pick-up and delivery locations are wide enough for a car hauler to maneuver.
In case the area is not accessible for a standard car carrier truck and the driver cannot come straight to your front door, there are two options to choose from:
1. You can arrange to meet with the driver at the nearest large parking lot or shopping mall area where a car carrier truck can back up and turn safely.
2. A small flatbed truck can be hired to tow your vehicle to the area accessible for a car hauler.
What are the benefits of door-to-door car shipping?
- It saves your time. In most cases, the only time you will have to participate in the actual shipping process is when the vehicle is picked up and delivered in order to meet the driver, sign the condition report and the bill of lading. The average time of loading procedure is about 20 minutes.
- It’s all coordinated for you. The broker company you choose to go with takes over all the details connected with finding a driver, arranging the shipment and any the other logistics required. The driver calls you twice prior to pick up and twice prior to delivery to make sure that you or somebody in charge will be there at the agreed time period.
- You get to meet the driver. Since your vehicle will be staying on the same truck during the entire transportation, it will be the same driver to take care of it all this time.
- You can oversee the loading process. Either you or somebody you trust will be able to check the condition of the car at both pick up and delivery right next to the person responsible for the transportation and make sure the loading/off-loading goes well.
- Inoperable vehicles can be shipped as well. Door-to-door service also enables transportation of inoperable (non-running) cars to or from repair shops, auctions, previous owners or other places.
In order to find out how much door-to-door transportation would cost for your type of vehicle on your route, just submit a request on our website. You will be contacted by one of our professional shipping agents and provided with the all-inclusive price for your specific shipment.
It is easy!
Just fill out the contact form or give us a call at 904-863-5350
Once you place an order with us your vehicle will
immediately get the widest visibility among all the carriers on your route!